The incentives were strong enough for me to put my entire garden on drip recently. Like many another obsessive gardener, I have many, many plants in containers. [So many that I have not dared count them, since I don't really want to know the extent of my obsession.] While the advantages of gardening in containers are numerous, a strong disadvantage is the need to water very frequently — in hot or windy weather, plants in containers can require watering at least once a day. Now that all my containers are on a drip system, with easily programmed timers scheduling when the water comes on, not only am I freed from the daily watering chores, my plants are looking much happier with the regular moisture that they can count on receiving. It also means that I can now take a summer vacation without hiring a plant sitter, or imposing on family or friends.
While you can certainly hire a professional to install a drip system, if you are at all handy [and what gardener isn't?], don't hesitate to tackle the job yourself. The brand I chose, Raindrip, comes with a free guide booklet that answered all questions about how to design the system, what kind of emitters or drip line to use in all situations, and how to put the components together. I suspect other brands are equally user-friendly.

photo from sunset.com
Putting together my drip system reminded me of playing with Tinker Toys [a favorite from childhood], and I found that it was just as much fun. Most pieces snap together easily, and my several mistakes were easily corrected. Parts are available for every conceivable need: for pots, ornamental beds and vegetable plots. Some emitters are adjustable and will compensate for level and pressure changes, an important consideration on my steep hillside garden.
It was also important since my system waters containers that hang at multiple levels. The system can also easily be expanded or sections by-passed or deleted, as the garden evolves over time. And when the fall rains begin in earnest, it is a simple matter to turn everything off for the winter. I can attest from experience that putting in a drip system is well within the capabilities of just about anyone. [Tip: a cup of hot water for dipping tubing ends makes compression fittings slide together easily.]
Where to start? Some water districts, including Santa Cruz, have free materials on drip installation — ask yours about such information. Then, visit a garden center that stocks drip system components. Pick up one of the free booklets, and study it at home at your leisure. [On manufacturers' Web sites, instructions can be downloaded.]
Then decide where you want to install the first section; begin on a section that looks straightforward and isn't too large, so that you can grow comfortable using the components and few tools required. Measure that first area, decide whether emitters or drip tubing [or a combination] will best suit your site, and the number of emitters or length of tubing that will be needed.
Make your shopping list and head off to get the essentials for that first section. Once that first section is in, set the timer and begin to reap the benefits. You will be happily amazed at how easy it all is, and how a drip system will save water, benefit your plants, and free you to spend your time actually gardening rather than watering.
-Sharon Hull